Brockley, also known as Brockley Green, is situated approximately 7 miles (11 km) south of Bury St Edmunds, 9 miles (14 km) north of Sudbury on the B1066 and 2 miles north of Hartest with a population of around 280.
It is a small hamlet, recorded in the Domesday Book as “Brochola” or “Broclega”, the name originates from “woodland clearing by a brook”.
Mill Road marks the location of a former post mill which was demolished in 1930.
Brockley Hall and St Andrew’s Church are about 1 km north of the village. A church existed in Brockley at the time of the Domesday Survey, but there appears to be no trace of this in the present building although some of it dates from the Early English period.
There have been no public houses in the village since the 1980s, although prior to that there had been two; the Fox and Hounds and The Six Bells.
The Baptist Chapel in Chapel Lane was built in 1842.
The Village Hall in Mill Road was built in 1979 and has a large hall, meeting room, kitchen.
The bus shelter beside the B1066 was built to commemorate the 1953 Coronation.